Sunday, May 22, 2011

I Saw What I Saw....

Saturday, May 21st, 3:00 to 6:00 pm.


This afternoon, as sun threatened to turn to clouds and rain, it being the advent of the Rapture and all, I threw on my butter yellow Tom's shoes (last year's linen series) and headed out to run an errand at The Plaza Hotel based Leather Spa.  The ever charming Wilson works there and now that the Superintendent in the building next door to mine has retired without consummating his 25 year long overture of love for me, Wilson could soon replace him.  He has professed love for me for only a year but his ardor is growing with each visit and the visits are more frequent now that my friend Sharon is newly engaged, newly employed and no longer able to come to my rescue with the critical pick up and drop off runs. You get only thirty days to retrieve your footwear repairs so timing is of the essence once you get the call from the Spa that they are ready. Add to this that it could be the last day of the world, and you have a heightened sense of urgency to collect your personal effects and prepare for your journey to the next life.

Where was I? Ah, I hopped on the subway to 59th Street, then headed down Central Park South. The world was outside to enjoy the miraculous appearance of the sun.  Amidst the throngs of people dashing about, I could not help but be struck by a few new Summery looks in the sea of nautical stripe stories which have been repeating themselves daily thus far this season:

I spied:

1. one peachy floral gowned Asian beauty with her suited up beau on the 96th Street station tracks waiting for the local train. Although I missed the photo opp, the site was beyond cinematic.


Orla Kiely "Multi Stem" print,
copyright Orla Kiely

2. many pairs of jeweled flat sandals on leggy girls in short shorts all along CPS.

3. too many Orla Kiely bags slung diagonally over shoulders but the prints are admittedly a stand out.



4. a smattering of polka dots but lots more will come, mark my word, seeing as how we are in the mood for prophets today...

5. and the eye of the storm, eyelet! it was everywhere!  black eyelet peasant top on a bronzed Latin woman outside the MAD museum; white eyelet pleated skirt on a graduate posing for family photos; ecru linen shorts with a scalloped eyelet trim on a twenty something crossing Colombus Circle; red eyelet dresss on a girl at a hot dog cart; whte ruffle edged top on what could have been her twin strolling North (and do not get me started on hair styles or the prevalence of straw fedoras...)




By the time I had gone to Leather Spa and walked back up to Time Warner Center, a new wave of looks had surfaced, themes shifting like the editorial pages in a magazine. It was all about the bold and the beautiful and evocative of exotic and far away places....

1. a gorgeous accordian pleated maxi dress in a strong tribal print outside Marea. black, red, orange colors stood out, lush like a Gauguin painting.

2. a long ink blue and white handkerchief hemmed scarf skirt at the Circle, suggestive of Azulejos tiles from Portugal.


from Wikipedia, Azulejos, file history:
Information |Description=Panel of glazed tiles by Jorge Colaço (1922), representing Henry the Navigator at the Sagres Promonory. Lisbon, Pavilhão Carlos Lopes. |Source=self-made |Date=June 2007 |Author= Alvesgaspar|
 

3. a striking pair of black and white Ikat inspired lace ups on one daring dude, graphic and tribal.















I hope that tomorrow comes because aside from the fact that Spring seems to have finally sprung, there do seem to be a few fall forecasts already on the street which would be fun to follow -- easy nubby wool drape dusters, top handle saddle bags, and I had to blink twice, thrice, but I reckon I am right by now when I recognize a poncho....

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment